On Wednesday the Book Group met to discuss one of the new 2021 Quick Reads – ‘The Baby is Mine’ by Oyinkan Braithwaite. This title got a more negative than positive review from the group – we all felt that it had real potential which unfortunately was not realised. We didn’t feel that it built up the suspense that we were promised by the blurb, and the characters were uniformly unlikeable and hard to really engage with. However, we have added Braithwaite’s full-length debut novel to the list of potential future choices on the recommendation of some group members.
The next meeting of the Reading for Wellbeing Virtual Book Group is taking place on Wednesday 3rd November at 7-8pm via WebEx.
Our next book choice is a full-length novel – The Familiars by Stacey Halls.
We don’t own any copies of this book in the Library. To buy your own copy, it can be purchased as an e-book from Amazon or the Kobo store or as a paperback from Waterstones, WHSmith, Blackwell’s, Hive or Bookshop.org.
Further, if you’d like to get a head start on ordering some of the full-length titles we have in the mix for the coming months, here are some of the choices so far:
- Girl, Woman, Other by Bernadine Evaristo (we also have library copies)
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman (we also have library copies)
- Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield
- The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes
- The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri
- Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart
- The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides
- Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid
- My Sister the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite
If you’ve got books sat on your shelf that you’d like to read, please do email me and I will add them to the list!
If you have any further questions about the Virtual Book Group, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.